|■ 英語タイトル：Biopolymer Packaging Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)|
|■ 発行会社/調査会社：Mordor Intelligence|
The biopolymer packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.6% over the forecast period (2021 – 2026). Biopolymers refer to naturally occurring polymers, primarily from renewable sources, such as plants and animals, which help manufacture plastics. Furthermore, the companies in the market studied are focusing on increasing the production capabilities of biopolymers.
- Multiple factors such as the volatility of oil prices, the globally increasing interest in renewable resources, the growing concerns regarding the greenhouse gas emissions, and the current emphasis on waste management have created an increasing interest in biopolymers and bioplastics.
- With the improved biopolymer processing technologies, vendors in the market have been enabled with better control of macromolecular structures that have allowed new generations of commodity polymers that challenge the expensive specialty polymers.
- The development of newer materials, particularly the innovative biopolymer formulations, is helping in addressing various requirements with other packaging functions such as food preservation and protection towards consumers. The use of biocomposites for active food packaging is one of the most-studied approaches in the past few years for materials in contact with food. Applications of these innovative biocomposites are helping to provide new food packaging materials that have improved mechanical, barrier, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties
- Further, the increasing concerns on food wastage are preventing the complete replacement of plastics as they remain the best solution to increase the shelf life of products. According to the Food & Agriculture Organization, 1.3 billion tons of food worldwide is wasted annually. This has led to several innovations where biopolymer plastics are being developed to increase shelf life without compromising on sustainability concerns.
- To truly capture the potential for biodegradable plastic packaging, multiple cities across the globe need to have an adequate composting and collection infrastructure to support their usage. Currently, very few municipalities across the globe have such infrastructure. However, with the increasing awareness, investment, and ban on single-use plastic, this is likely to ascend, creating an ample amount of opportunities for the existing and new market players.
- Also, the immediate impact on the consumer’s concerns about the viral exposure of the Corona Virus and the questions around the virus’ ability to survive on surfaces are expected to fuel a much longer-lasting demand for new packaging and materials that exhibit antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Moreover, researches are being done in antibacterial and antiviral polymers and biopolymers for packaging. Enhanced active drug materials that are efficient and exhibit low toxicity are being studied. The demand for such materials in the day-to-day consumer products is expected to rise significantly post-COVID-19 era, as consumers are likely to maintain concerns and habits learned during this challenging period.
Key Market Trends
Food and Beverages Industry is Expected to Witness a Significant Growth during the Forecast Period
- Innovations in the field of biopolymers are expected to drive the market during the forecast period. According to the Indian Science Journal, scientists have made biopolymer films from potato peel and fruit pomace, which can be used to store perishable food products, such as bread. The biopolymer films made from potato peels and fruit pomace waste are 0.3 millimeters thin and can withstand temperatures as high as 200 degrees Celsius. They have good breakage strength and elongation capacity.
- The impending government regulations regarding single-use plastic packaging in China are causing the companies to ramp up biodegradable plastics production. For instance, the founder and chairman of Saton Daily Necessities would be spending USD 15 million to produce biodegradable straws made from polylactide acid (PLA – a type of bioplastic or biopolymer) by doubling the size of the factory.
- The European Union (EU) and the American Chemical Council’s Plastics Division recently announced the target to use 100% recyclable, reusable and compostable plastics by 2025 and 2040. These regulations are expected to influence the plastic packaging industry in the future profoundly.
- This is expected to drive the demand for mono-material plastics and biodegradable polymers in multiple sectors. The concern for both forms of packaging as of now is their high production costs. The regulations are expected to increase demand, and the prices are expected to go down through economies of scale.
- Moreover, in Oct 2019, Swiss food giant Nestlé inaugurated its new research facility, focusing on tackling the problem of packaging waste. It is taking a 5-step approach to this challenge. The company aims to push the envelope with its research into biopolymers as they are biodegradable and can degrade in the composting environment
- Furthermore, in Jan 2020, in a joint research project, the Fraunhofer Institute for Microstructure of Materials and Systems and the technical film producer Polifilm Extrusion GmbH are working on engineering biopolymer-based films for food packaging. In this project, the specialists are relying on chitosan coatings to increase the resistance of food to microbiological impacts.
Asia-Pacific is expected to Register the Fastest Growth Rate during the Forecast Period
- The Asia-Pacific region is considered to be one largest consumer and producer of biopolymers globally. The growing concerns regarding food wastage, due to the expiry of the products, has enabled the companies in the region to opt for innovative solutions. Moreover, the government regulations regarding food wastage have also contributed to the adoption of sustainable packaging solutions, which, in turn, is estimated to boost the market for biopolymer packaging.
- With Chinese consumers inclined toward products containing fish, meat, and vegetables, which are mainly retort-packed to keep them shelf-stable, the readymade meals have gained increased popularity among the consumers in China. The increasing trend of online purchasing has further buoyed them
- Owing to the rising environmental regulations and multiple government programs to increase awareness, customers are gradually switching towards bio-based plastics. Also, the increasing number of bans on conventional plastics are acting as one of the primary drivers of the growth of the market.
- Further, India is one of the largest manufacturers of food and beverages in the world. The Indian food and grocery market are sixth largest globally, with retail contributing around 70% of the sales. Moreover, food and food products are also one of the most significant segments in the country’s retail sector, valued at USD 490 billion in 2013 and is expected to reach INR 61 lakh crore (USD 894.98 billion) by 2020. With a considerable increase in organized retail, owing to the rapid growth in supermarkets and modern shopping centers, the demand for sustainable, innovative packaging solutions is expected to increase.
- Multiple companies are likely to invest more in the Asia-Pacific region as the consumer awareness in the region is ascending and emerging economies, such as India, are also offering favorable tax benefits toward environment-friendly solutions, which is likely to encourage the new and existing industry players; thus propelling the market growth over the market studied.
The biopolymer packaging market is moderately consolidated, owing to the presence of prominent players, such as Mondi Group, Taghleef Industries Inc, Clondalkin Group Holdings BV. These firms hold a competitive advantage over other players due to their ability to continually enhance their product lines as per consumers’ demands. These companies continue to invest in research and development activities, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic partnerships with other firms or institutions to maintain their competitive position.
- June 2019: Amcor launched AmLite Ultra Recyclable, its first packaging product made from the company’s revolutionary, more sustainable high-barrier polyolefin film, which the company announced last year. The new high-barrier laminate can package a range of food, home, and personal care, and pharmaceutical products, and be recycled in existing polyolefin recycling streams.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 The Growing Government Regulations for Bio-based Packaging
4.3.2 Increasing Awareness for Human Well Being and Eco-friendly Products
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Performance Issues with Bio-based Materials
4.4.2 High Cost of Bio-packaging Materials
4.5 Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Assessment of COVID-19 impact on the Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Material Type
184.108.40.206 Other Material Types
220.127.116.11 Starch Blends
18.104.22.168 Other Biodegradability Types
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Food and Beverages
5.2.4 Personal Care/Homecare
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Mondi Group
6.1.2 Taghleef Industries Inc.
6.1.3 Clondalkin Group Holdings BV
6.1.4 Sonoco Products Company
6.1.5 Berry Plastics Group Inc.
6.1.6 Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH
6.1.7 Sealed Air Corporation
6.1.8 Tetra Pak International SA
6.1.9 United Biopolymers SA
6.1.10 Amcor PLC
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
*** 免責事項 ***https://www.globalresearch.co.jp/disclaimer/